Tuesday, March 27, 2012

03/27/2012Ouch!

Just came home a bit ago from working about 5 hours at "that place", and my back is throbbing.  I am really concerned that I may be doing some major damage to myself from working there.  The disc degeneration scares the crap out of me, and it worries me that not just my lumbar area where the herniated discs were hurts all of the time, but now it is the upper/middle part of my back too.  -and my knees, my feet, and my hands, and fingers...  For only $8 an hour, is it really worth it??  And I may be wasting most of that in the gas to and from there.

Ok, happier thoughts!  I spent about four hours yesterday volunteering at a local farm, Vollmecke Orchards, after receiving an email from the Chester County Food Bank (where I had submitted my volunteer form, but have been unable to make one of their days yet), that they needed help at 10am on Monday.  Thankfully I was off, so I could go.  We spent a few hours planting onions.  There was just a handful of us, including 2 farm workers and a gentleman who has his own orchard.  It was pretty chilly out, which was fine, but we were dealing with horrendous winds that kept picking up all the fresh mulch and blowing it into our faces with extreme force.  The place was beautiful, and it was wonderfully sunny out, if only we could manage to keep from going blind half of the time!  When the planting was finished and the volunteers were heading out, I asked if there was anything else they needed help with, and wound up staying a few hours more helping to collect the branches from the peach tree trimmings.  We were hauling them onto a trailer, driving them to a pile, dumping, and repeat.  The trees were so beautiful!  The branches will be used for their yearly bonfire.  I was advised to bring some home for myself, and now have a bunch of my vases filled with the beautiful pink branches!  I even made a vase of them and brought them to "that place" for my new friend Anita, who started there with me.
Today I was thinking about how it has been a long while since I gave blood, so I checked both Red Cross and Miller-Keystone to see what was available.  I signed up for a blood drive in April, and was reading about the platet donations.  My bud Lew has blogged/fb'd about doing it, so I had an idea of what it entailed.  So I asked to do it today, since I wasn't due to work until 5:30.  Once you get through all of the signing in process, etc, the donation took the time to watch "Anchorman" the movie, lol.  They have a good library of dvd's, but none caught my eye, so I  thought it would be fun to re-watch that one.  I was going a little crazy not being able to move either arm for almost 2 hours, but by the time the credits and outtakes were done, the nurse was bandaging me up and sending me over to eat some snacks.  They hydrate you during the process so you don't have to worry about extra hydration.
Tomorrow I volunteer with the Veterans Affairs again, this time will be my first outside excursion with them!  I have no idea what to expect.  We are taking them to a buffet.  Should be interesting if nothing else!  The guys really make me feel better about myself, they are so encouraging, and are so happy to see me, and I get so much enjoyment out of spending time with them!

Ok, time to watch a Dr.Oz for Wendy, and keep trying to relax so I can get some sleep if possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment